Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Political Tidbit: To The Voters (Sheriff)

Alexandria Gazette (Va)
5 January 1852

To the Voters of Prince William County

Believing myself qualified to fill the office for which I solicit your votes, and to discharge all the duties appertaining thereto, and possessing equally upon principle with other citizens the right to any office in your gift, I present myself a candidate for the Sheriffalty of our County, under the Constitution, the ratification of which is not now doubted. It may be considered premature by some, as a Legislature has yet to be elected, to provide for the election of County officers. But as I am advised several gentlemen have not only announced themselves candidates, but are actually calling on you in person and soliciting your support, and hence delay might operate against me. In due season, I shall seek opportunities to have a personal interview with you all, and for the present only add that if it shall be your pleasure to confide this important trust to me, it will be mine to honor it. Your fellow-citizen, 

JOHN A. HARRISON.

Prince Wm. C., Va., nov. 19-wtf


[Mr. Harrison lost the election.  For a history of the PWCo Sheriff's office, check out Tish Como's article in the April 2005 edition of Prince William County Reliquary.  ~cgl]

No comments:

Post a Comment