Friday, November 26, 2021

Friend of Friends Friday: Gift Deed: Wells to Wells (1764)

Wells to Wells Gift
PWCo Deed Book Q, pg. 241A

Know all men by these presents that I Thomas William Wells of Loudoun County in the Colony of Virginia for divers good cause and considerations ____ but more especially for the love good will and affection that I have & bear to my loving Niece Elizabeth Wells (daughter of my brother Absalom Wells do give grant and confirm unto the said Elizabeth Wells three negroes Viz.  One Negro Woman named Linn one negroe Girl named Jude and one Negro boy named Jack together with the future increase of the said negroes Linn & Jude, which said three negroes I do hereby warrant and defend to the said Elizabeth Wells and her heir from the claim of my heirs Executors Admnr. and from the claim or claim of all persons whatsoever (reserving to myself the use of the above mentioned slaves during my life). 

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 27th day of Decemr 1764.

Thomas Wells [X his mark] {seal}

Sealed & delivered in the presence of 
John Anderson
Mo. Anderson
Elizabeth Anderson

At a Court held for Prince William County the 7th of January 1765

This Deed of gift from Thomas William Wells to Elizabeth Wells was proved by the Oath of Thomas Anderson one of the witnesses hereto & the same was admitted to record.

Teste   John Graham   Ct. Cur.


No comments:

Post a Comment