Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Will: Sophia C. M. Bullitt

Will of Sophia C. M. Bullitt
PWCo Will Book I, pg. 14
Proved: 2 January 1804

As I esteem it the duty of every individual to make such arrangements of his temporal concerns as may spare the survivors those difficulties and altercations that may otherwise arise, I mean with divine assistance to specify the manner in which I design my property to be disposed of after my decease; and I appoint my esteemed friends William Barnes and John Macrae executors of this my last will and testament.

My proportion of the Kentucky land I bequeath to be equally divided between my sisters Francis Garard, Sarah Barnes, and Helen Huie excepting a small legacy of Fifty Acres to my negroe boy Frederick, which fifty acres are to be of equal quality with my sisters portion. My negroes David Antony, Joan and her son Frederick I will should be emancipated after one years servitude from the time of my death during which year I desire that they may be hired out and the money arising from said hire must be appropriated to the payment of my debts. 

The Legacy of five hundred pounds the greatest part of which is yet due me from my fathers estate I direct to be equally divided between my sisters before mentioned after the following legacies are deducted. Viz. Fifty pounds to my niece Sophia Bullitt Garard, one hundred dollars to be appropriated to the education of poor children to be delivered in the hands of my esteemed friend Elizabeth Mason ten pounds to my friend and brother Thomas James Bullitt to purchase a mourning ring which I request him to accept as a small proof of my friendship and gratitude. I bequeath the same sum for the same purpose to my friend Lewis Hue Girarden. My house and lot I bequeath to my niece Helen Scott Huie, but if the hire of the negroes during one year from the time of my death is not sufficient to indemnify my creditors it must be rented out until all my debts are paid. One of my lots in Newport I devise to my niece Ann Foster Huie and the other to my niece Mary Barnes which each party is to receive by casting lots. Five guineas which were devised to me by my father in his will I bequeath to my nephew Thomas Barnes, my wearing apparel I direct to be divided between my nieces Helen and Ann Huie, my fortepiano I leave to Mary Barnes, my proportion of negroe Jenny's hire I bequeath to be annually paid into said Jenny's own hand, my body I bequeath to the dust from whence it came and my soul I recommend to the mercy of God through the merits of a redeemer.  I desire that my negroe boy Frederick should have three years schooling and that he should afterwards be bound to a trade for which purpose I have bequeathed to him the aforementioned fifty acres of land.

I wish that the money which I bequeath to my sisters may be appropriated to their own use independent of their husbands and I direct my Executors to place the money in the hands of proper Trustees to that effect. I desire that a claim which my Brother Thomas Bullitt has on me for a hundred dollars may be paid previously to my other debts. 

This I declare to be my last will and testament, and I again recommend to the God the Universe for whose mercy I humbly hope through the mediation of a blessed saviour.

Dumfries May 27th, 1803.

Sophia C. M. Bullitt

Teste
Benjamin Wells
James Rison
Peregin Davis

At a court held for Prince William County January 2nd, 1804.

This last will and testament of Sophia C. M. Bullitt deceased was presented to the Court and being proved by the Oath of Benj. Wells was ordered to be certified. John Macrae renounced in open Court the burthen of the Executor of the said Will. 

And at a Court Continued and held for the County aforesaid February the 7th 1804

This said last will and testament of Sophia C. M. Bullitt was fully proved by the Oath of James Rison and ordered to be recorded.

Test   J. Williams   Ct. Cur.

And at a Court continued and held for said county Feby. 5th, 1805.

William Barnes an Executor named in the Last Will and Testament of Sophia C. M. Bullitt decd came into Court and having proved the said Will according to Law, taken the Oath of an Executor and Executed a bond with security certificate is therefore granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Test   J. Williams   Ct. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment