Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Will: John Sullivan Sr. (1849)

Will of John Sullivan Sr.
PWCo Will Book P, pg. 413
Proved: 4 June 1849

In the name of God Amen, I JOHN SULLIVAN Sr. of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia, being old in years and weak in body, but of sound mind & disposing memory (for which I thank God) and calling to mind the uncertainty of human live, also being desirous to dispose of all such worldly Estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with --- I give and bequeath the same in manner following.

    1st. It is my will and desire that my three children to wit CHARLES CRAVEN SULLIVAN, CATHARIN SMOOT and ANN SULLIVAN, shall remain upon my farm during their natural life.

    2nd. That if my son CHARLES C. SULLIVAN should die before his sisters, that his portion of the sd. farm and what personal property he should possess at his death shall be equally divided between his sisters CATHARIN and ANN or their heirs, but should he survive both of them that my executor hereinafter named shall apportion him one third of sd. farm for his maintenance during his natural life and at his death to be disposed of as above stated, and act as his Guardian.

    3d. It is my will and desire that my farm shall belong to my three above named children to them and their heirs forever, reserving the right to my daughters to bequeath the same after the death of their brother. The said farm contains to the best of my recollection one hundred and forty two acres in two lots, it being purchased seperately as appear by reference to the clerks office embrachesing houses orchards & ____.

    4th. I give to my daughter CATHARIN SMOOT one bed, bedstead & furniture, one cow & calf one shot gun, 1 spining wheel & one griddle & walnut chest.

    5th. I give to my daughter ANN one bed, bedstead & furniture, one cow & calf, one sorrel mare & cart one clock, one walnut chest & one pine one walnut folding table, one flese wheel & cupboard.

    6th. I give to my son CHARLES C. SULLIVAN one bed, bedstead & furniture, one b[l]ack walnut chest and all my wearing apparel. 

    7th. I give to my grandson WILLIAM H. SMOOT one bed, bedstead & furniture & one cow.

    8th. I give to MATILDA HARRISON one bed, bedstead & furniture.

    9th. It is my desire that my executor shall divide or give to each of my children, grandchildren & Matilda Harrison the several articles of personal property as above devised to them.

    10th. I desire that the balance of my personal property not herein named be sold by my executor and after paying my burial expenses and just debts, the balance be equally divided by him between my four children CHARLES C., CATHARIN, ANN, & JOHN SULLIVAN JR.

    And lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my friend JESSE E. WEEMS executor of this my last will & testament, hereby revokeing all other former wills or testaments by me heretofore made and the County Court of Prince William shall not require security of him my said named executor. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed my seal this 16th day of December 1848.

JOHN SULLIVAN SENR. {seal}

Signed, Sealed, published & before us for the last will & testament of the above named John Sullivan Senr. 

OBED CORNWELL
SILAS K. CORNWELL
JAMES CORNWELL

In Prince William County Court June 4th 1849

This last will & testament of JOHN SULLIVAN SENR. decd. was presented to the Court, proved by the oaths of OBED CORNWELL, SILAS K. CORNWELL & JAMES CORNWELL, subscribing witnesses thereto & ordered to be recorded & JESSE E. WEEMS the Executor therein named came into Court & renounced the burthen of the executor thereof. And on the 5th day of June 1849 Administration with the will annexed, on the estate of JOHN SULLIVAN SENR. decd. is granted to JOHN SULLIVAN JR. who came into Court & took the oath prescribed by law & entered into & acknowledged a bond with security according to law.

Teste,   J. WILLIAMS   C.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment