Saturday, December 25, 2021

Newspaper Tidbit: Letters to the Editor / Ebenezer Baptist Church (1932)

Manassas Journal (Va)
15 December 1932

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Young folks at Haymarket send their messages to Santa, and the Editor reprints a few.

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I try to be a good boy. I am seven years old. Will you please bring me a drum? I do not want much this Christmas. Give my love to Mrs. Santa.  ~ William Clem.

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I have tried to be very good this year. I am seven year old. I want a bicycle and football if you can bring them. ~ Your little boy, John Sloper.

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I have tried to be a good little girl. I hope you will bring me a doll baby. ~ Jean Schaeffer

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I try to be a good girl. I am seven years old. I hope you will bring me some toys. I want a book and a pair of gloves. That is all this time.  ~ Betty Thomas

-----------------

I go to Haymarket School. I am in the second grade. Please bring me a bicycle. This is all I want this Christmas. Give my love to Mrs. Santa. ~ Your little boy, Shirley Jacobs

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I tried to be a good girl. I am nine years old. I go to Haymarket School. I would like to have a doll baby and a set of dishes this Christmas.  ~ Maria King

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I have tried to be a good girl. I am seven years old. Please bring me a doll and some dishes.  ~ Anne Lightner

-----------------

Haymarket
Dec. 2, 1932.

Dear Santa Claus:
   I have been a good boy, so please bring me a bow and arrow. I am seven years old. That is all I want this time. Good by, dear Santa Claus.  ~ John. T. Carter, Jr.

~~~~~~~~~     ~~~~~~~~~    ~~~~~~~~~

The Manassas Journal,
Manassas, Va.
Sirs!

     Allow me to thank our white friends for the help they so beautifully gave to Ebenezer Baptist church, Occoquan, Va. From the appeal you published in your paper over four years ago. Am glad to say the A.B.P. Soc. sent us 25 copies of the New Testament and 25 hymn books, and other literature.
     The Lend a Hand Society of Boston, Mass., sent two boxes of books. These have been distributed among four Sunday schools.
     It is my desire to thank the friends of Occoquan, Va., Brentsville, Va., Manassas, Va., Conklin, Loudoun Co., Va., Dist. Work House, Reformatory and Alexandria, Va.
     Trusting all may have a very Merry Christmas and Most Prosperous New Year.
     The church hasn't been finished. The insurance is $2,500.
     My sight having failed, I retire from pastoral work after 63 years and 8 months of services. I pray God's blessing upon all and ask the prayers of all friends.

Yours most sincerely,

L. H. BAILEY,
Ex-Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church, Occoquan, Va.


No comments:

Post a Comment