Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Will: Cornelius Skinner

Cornelius Skinner's Will
PWCo. Will Book O, pg. 238
Proved 7 June 1836

In the name of the Lord, Amen, I Cornelius Skinner of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia being in a weak state of body but of a disposing mind do make this my last will and testament revoking all others heretofore by me made.

In the first place I will and desire all my just debts to be paid.

Secondly, I will to the children of my son Richard Deceased, and fifths part of my Estate, also to my sons Phinehas and Samuel each one fifth part of my Estate.

Thirdly I will one fifth part of my Estate to my nephew Nathan Skinner in trust for the entire use and benefit of my daughter Frances Rausseau and her children separate and a part from her husband and beyond his control to be by her so applied as if a firme sole, and to be paid over to her in the following manner to wit, One hundred dollars annually until the funds are exhausted, and in case she should die before the funds are __ as above directed the residue shall be paid over in equal proportions as they become of age to her children.

Fourthly, I will to my daughter Elizabeth Taylor one fifth part of my Estate, in addition to a negro woman and children which I have heretofore given to her and her children which will more fully appear from a certain deed of gift executed to them for said woman and children and with which I direct that said Elizabeth shall not be charged with in the settlement of my Estate.

Fifthly, I direct my Executor or Executors hereafter named to sell the whole of  my Estate both real and personal on reasonable credits and to pay over to the distributees as above directed.

Sixthly, Nathan Skinner and Nathaniel Skinner or either of them my Exr. or Executors to this my last will and testament.

As witness my hand and seal this fifth day of June in the year of our Lord 1834.

Cornelius Skinner {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged in the presence of  us.

Nathaniel S. Oden
Nathaniel Skinner
Jesse Ewell Jnr. 
William Rose

At a Court of Quarterly Sessions cont. and held for Prince William County the 7th day of June 1836.

This last will and testament of Cornelius Skinner decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of William Rose and Jesse Ewell Junr. two of the subscribing witnesses thereto, is ordered to be recorded. And, on the motion of Nathaniel Skinner one of the Executors named therein, who made oath thereto, and together with William Rose and John Hutchison his securities (who justified as to their sufficiency) entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of $7000 condition as the law directs certificate is granted him, for obtaining a probate of the said will in due form.

Teste, Jno. Williams   C.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment