Monday, August 31, 2020

Will: Charles Davis (1811)

Will of Charles Davis
PWCo. Will Book K, pg. 131

In the name of God Amen. The Twelfth day of November one thousand eight hundred and eleven I Charles Davis of the State of Virginia Farmer, being very sick and weak of body but of perfect mind and memory, thanks be given unto God therefor, calling unto mind the mortality of  my body, knowing that it is appointed unto all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament. That is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it, and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in decent christian burial at the discretion of my executors, nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the almighty power of God. And as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life, I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.

Imprimis. I devise and bequeath to my beloved child Barbara Davis one feather bed and furniture, one sorrel horse colt, one red heifer yearling with a white face to she and her heirs to have and to hold forever. Secondly and lastly, I give and bequeath to my b[e]loved wife Elizabeth Davis all the remainder of my estate that I possess in this world to have and to hold as long as she lives and at her death decease to be equally divided amongst my three children Sarah Rison, Edah Woodyard and Barbara Davis to have and to hold they and their heirs forever. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal the day and year first above written.

Charles [X his mark] Davis  {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged and declared in the presence of us and of each other.

Jesse [X his mark] Warder
John Ratcliff

At a Court Continued and held for Prince Wm. County Dec. 3 1811.

This last will and Testament of Charles Davis decd was presented to the Court by Elizabeth Davis his widow and being proved by the oaths of Jesse Warder and John Ratcliff was ordered to be recorded and on motion of the said Elizabeth administration with the will annexed of the said Davis is granted her she having taken the oath prescribed by law and given security according to law.

Teste.  J. Williams.  Ct. Cur.



No comments:

Post a Comment