Friday, July 10, 2020

Deed: Fanny Webster to Polly [emancipation]

Deed of Emancipation
Fanny Webster to Polly
PWCo DB 2, pg. 126

KNOW all Men by these presents that I Fanny Webster of the Town of Dumfries and County of Prince William for and in consideration of the sum of one dollar to me in hand paid the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge have manumitted emancipated and set free & do hereby emancipate set free and liberate a certain Mulatto Girl named Polly who was devised to me by the last will and testament of Thomas Montgomerie deceased the said Girl Polly is at this time about Twenty One years of Age.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this Twentyeth day of October 1802.

Fanny [X her mark] Webster {seal}

Signed Sealed and delivered in presence of 
Philip Dawe Jr.
J. Lawson
John Williams

At a Court held for Prince William County the 2d day of May 1803.  This deed of Emancipation from Fanny Webster to Polly was proved by the oaths of John Williams, John Lawson, & Philip Dawe Junr. and ordered to be recorded.

Teste.  John Williams  Ct. Cur.


No comments:

Post a Comment