Monday, June 15, 2020

Will: Thomas Harrison (1811)

Will of Thomas Harrison 
PWCo Will Book K, pg. 112

In the name of God, Amen, I Thomas Harrison of Fairview, do make and appoint this my last Will and Testament, revoking all others heretofore made.

I give to my two youngest sons John & Walter all my estates of every kinds, to be equally divided with exceptions notwithstanding.

I give to my three sons Philip Burr & James each 500$ to be paid them out of the profits of my Estate. I give Philip more, a Boy named Sandy the son of Cinthy. I give the lands which I purchased of B. R. Wagener & B. Prichett after my debts & legacies are paid & provided it be not necessary to sell these lands or a part thereof in discharge of my debts, in which case they must be sold are as much thereof as is necessary to be equally divided between James & Burr.

2nd I give my two daughters -- Betsy & Sally each 1000$ to be paid them out of the profits of my Estate or out of the sale of lands which I have sold in Kentucky. I give them each a young woman, to Besey Maria of the Family of Cillar, to Sally Celia of the Family of Lucy and each of them a girl, to Betsey Sharlott, to Sally Fanny both of the family of Lucy. I give to my said Daughters my private stair case with the rooms above, to have and to hold till they marry or otherwise provide for themselves. It is to be consider'd that the Slaves here given are to work on the Farm with my other Slaves, till their Legacies are paid them & they are to be supported out of my Estate in the mean time. Ig ive each of them a feather bed & furniture. The horses on the Farm will serve them occasionally.

3d. I give to my wife Sarah Harrison, a woman named Cinthy to be disposed of as she pleases. I give her one ninth part of all the money's arising from the sale of my Kentucky lands to be at her own disposal in lieu of Dower. I would recommend it to my said wife to take compensation for Dower in the lands & slaves at home or to take one third part of what is made on the Farms finding her proportion of expenses knowing as I well do that a Division of the Estate will be injurious both to herself and children.

I give the moneys arising from the sale of my Kentucky lands already sold to be paid to the discharge of my Debts & Legacies & the remainder if any to be divided between my sons Philip Burr & James. I give the whole of my Kentucky lands to be sold, remaining unsold, & the moneys arising therefrom to be equally divided between my sons Philip, Burr, James, John & Walter & my Daughters Betsey & Sally after my debts are paid.

I appoint my son John to the management of my Estate (Plantations) till a dividend takes place between him and Walter, which cannot happen till my debt & legacies are paid all the bequests herein contained are to them and their heirs with increase forever.  I appoint my son Philip Exor to this my Will and in the event of his death my sons John & Walter. My said son John during the management of my Estate is to live & be in my house as heretofore under the controul & directions of my Exors.

Signed
Thos. Harrison {Seal}
31st Aug 1810

Acknowledged in presence of
David Boyle
Robert Boughannon
Timothy Brundrige

At a Court of Quarterly Sessions Contd and held for Prince Wm. County August 8th 1811.

This last will and testament of Thomas Harrison decd was presented to the Court by Philip Harrison the Executor therein named who made oath to the same according to law and the said Will being proved by the oaths of David Boyle and Timothy Brundige is ordered to be recorded and the said Philip Harrison having taken the oath of an Executor and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste,
J. Williams  Ct. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment