Friday, June 5, 2020

Friend of Friends Friday: Forty Dollars Reward (Jess)

Virginia Chronicle (Norfolk, VA)
21 September 1793

FORTY DOLLARS REWARD

IN consequence of a hue and cry from under the hand and seal of Alexd. Lithgow, esq. one o the Magistrates of P. William County, bearing date the 6th instant, wherein I have made oath that I suspect that on the morning of that day, a certain Daniel Tebbs did steal from me one Negro man named JESS, and convey'd him on board his boat the Freemason, then lying in the harbor of Newport on Potomack river near to where I live; and said Jess having been seen with the said Daniel the same day aboard of his boat -- The said Daniel was formerly an inhabitant of P. William county but for some years hath been generally employed as a river and bay pilot; the residence of the said Daniel Tebbs when on shore, as I understand, generally at Norfolk and Portsmouth, where I suspect he hath carried the said Negro, he having sailed down the river Potomack with him in his boat the same day he stole him; therefore, I hereby forewarn all & every person whomsoever from purchasing the said Negro from the said Daniel, and I hereby offer as a reward to any person, who will apprehend and secure said Negro Jess within any goal of any County of this state, so as I get him again Twenty Dollars -- and to who ever does apprehend him and deliver him to me in Dumfries, I will give the sum of FORTY DOLLARS.

WILLIAM TEBBS.

Dumfries, August 29, 1793.   32


No comments:

Post a Comment