Monday, February 10, 2020

Will: Moore Hooff (1825)

Will of Moore Hooff
PWCo Will Book M, pg. 506

In the Name God Amen I Moore Hooff of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia being old but of sound mind and memory Bless God for the same calling to mind the Mortality of my body and knowing it is appointed for all Men once to die do Constitute and ordain this my last will and testament, that is first and principally of all I recommend my Soul into the Hands of Almity God and my body to the earth to be buried in a decent christian burial at the discretion of my Executors, not doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the Mighty power of God. And as touching my Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to Bless me with in this Life, I give and bequeath in the following Manner.

Viz: Two Feather Beds and Bedsteads, two sheets to each Bed, one cotton counterpane to each Bed, two blankets to each bed, also two yarn bed covers to each bed, likewise, two pillars and one Boulster to each Bed, also one Table and four chairs one pot and one oven six plates and a dish and half dozen knives and forks and also one cow which was my loving wife's Property before our marriage contract.

Second I give also to my loving Wife Nancy Hoff two choice horses and one side saddle three choice cows and also half my stock of sheep and hogs, half of my household and kitchen furniture except two beds and furniture and also the half of my crop that is made growing, and to have full and peaceable possession of my house kitchen and garden and a reasonable supply of firewood until she can get her full part of the Property I have given her.

Thirdly I give to my daughter Pamelia three Negroes namely Eliza, Lucy-Anne, and Harrison, one choice bed and bedstead two sheets and two blankets one cotton counterpane one quiilt and two yarn bedcovers two pillars and one boulster one tea kettle one table one cupboard one bureau and twenty five dollars in cash as soon as it can be raised out of the sale of my Property.

And fourthly, all my lands and the balance of my property that I have not will'd to be sold and equally divided after my just debts are paid with this exception I give my daughter Frances Cornwell one hundred dollars more than her equal part of the sale of my Property, and my son Cornelius Hoff fifty dollars more than the equal part of the sale of said property and my desire is that my old Woman Winney should be given this indulgence by my Executors to let her live with any part of my family she choses or chose a master.  Lastly I do hereby constitute and ordain my son Thomas Hoff and M. James Fewell Executors of this my last will and Testament.   In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 24th of May 1825.

Moore Hoff's {seal}

Signed sealed and delivered in presence of
George Bradfield
Orpha [X her mark] Bradfield

At a Court held for Prince William County December 3rd 1827.

This last will and testament of Moore Hooff deceased was returned to the Court and being proved by the oaths of the Witnesses thereto the same is ordered to be recorded.

Teste,
Philip D. Dawe  Ct Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment