Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Will: Leonard Leachman

Will of Leonard Leachman
PWCo Will Book I, pg. 364

In the Name of God Amen --

I Leonard Leachman of Prince William County and state of Virginia knowing that it is appointed for all men to dye & being in a low state of health though of sound mind do make this my last will & testament revocing and disannuling all other Wills made by me heretofore --

Item I resign my body to its mother Earth & my soal to almighty God. & as for my worldly goods It is my Will & desire that they shall be divided as I hereafter shall direct. 

First I give & bequeath all my real & personal estate to my loveing wife Sarah Leachman during her natural life or widowhood but shoul[d] she marry I then give her a Child's parte of the sd. Estate & It is further my will and desire after her death or widowhood that all my Estate as before mentioned be Equally divided between my suns Thomas, Leonard, James, John & Robert they paying the sum of one hundred pound cash to my three daughters Frances Fielder, Elizabeth Brown & Nancy Hadin to be equally divided between them & to pay for the Schooling of James & Robert two years. 

Item I bequeath to my sun James a horse by the name of Shearke to my sun John a Colte by the name of Toliver & to my sun Robert another Coult by the name of Jock which several horses It is my desire they shall have given to them immediately by my Executors which I shall appoint & Lastly It is my will & desire that my three suns Thomas Leachman Leonard Leachman & John Leachman do act as my Executors to this my last Will as Witness whereof I have set my hand & Seal this 23d day of November one thousand seven hundred & Ninety Eight.

Leonard Leachman {seal}

In presents of us
Chs. Ewell
James Foster
John [X his mark] Colvert

At a Court held for Prince William County January 5th 1807

This last will and Testament of Leonard Leachman decd was presented to the Court and being proved by the oath of Charles Ewell was ordered to be certified. And at a Court held for sd. County the 7th December 1807 Redman Foster came into Court and made oath that James Foster a Witness to the last will and Testament of Leonard Leachman decd is dead and proved that the Signature of James Foster to the said Will is in the handwriting of the said James Foster whereupon the said Will is ordered to be recorded it having been proved at January Court last by Charles Ewell.

Teste   J. Williams  Ct. Cur. *

* At a Court Contd and held for Prince William county October the 3rd 1815
John Leachman one of the Exor. named in the last will and testament of Leonard Leachman decd came into Court and made oath to the same accodin to law and having taken the oath of an Exor. and performing what is usual in such cases Certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.  

Teste  Phil. D. Dawe  Ct. Cur.



No comments:

Post a Comment