Friday, September 11, 2020

Friend of Friends Friday: Emancipation: Hector Ross to Negro Dick

Emancipation:  Hector Ross to Negro Dick
PWCo Deed Book 1, pg. 2
6 January 1800

To all persons to whom these presents shall come I Hector Ross of the Town of Dumfries County of Prince William and Commonwealth of Virginia send Greeting:

WHEREAS William Templeman Esquire now deceased did in and by his last will and testament of record in the General Court of Virginia dated in or about the year of our Lord One thousand seven hundred and seventy three did devise unto me a negroe boy named Dick who hath now arrived at the age of about forty years Now know ye that for and in consideration of the faithfull services which the said Negroe Dick hath rendered me and in pursuance of the intention of the said Testator as expressed in the said Will I do hereby emancipate and set free the said Negroe named Dick for ever. And I the said Hector Ross do for myself my heirs Exors and Administrators do hereby covenant and grand to and with the said Negroeman Dick that he shall for ever hereafter remain free and emancipate from my claim and from all and every other person and persons claiming or to claim by from or under me which Emancipation is made by m in in pursuance and by virtue of an act of Assembly in force and in such cases made and provided In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this sixth day of January 1800.

H. Ross {seal}

Sealed & delivered in presence of }

At a Court held for Prince William County the 6th day of January 1800.

This deed of Emancipation from Hector Ross to Negro Dick was acknowledged by said Ross and admitted to record.

Teste
John Williams  Ct Cur.



No comments:

Post a Comment