Friday, March 20, 2020

Will: Matthew Whiting (1810)

Will of Matthew Whiting
PWCo Will Book K, pg. 77

In the Name of God Amen! I Matthew Whiting of Snow Hill in the County of Prince William, being mindful of the uncertainty of human life and desirous of disposing of such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to give me, do whilst of sound mind & memory make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say.

Imprimis, I give and bequeath to my much beloved wife the whole of my estate real and personal, for and during her natural life, and one half of my negroes forever, which she is hereby authorized to dispose of by Will, not to take effect however, should I be the longest liver till my death, when the same will be carried into execution.  In the division which will then be made of the negroes, I direct that Ciller and her children, Eliza and her children, Fanny, the Grand-daughter of Pegg, may fall into the division that may be set apart for my wife. I also give and bequeath to my beloved wife all my stocks of every kind, to do as she pleases with, and allow her only the use of the household and kitchen furniture during her life, when it shall go in the manner hereinafter directed.

Item, In Testimony of the Love and affection which I bear to Matthew Whiting Brooke junior the son of W. Edmund Brooke whom I have always patronised and educated, and who is dear to me, I give, devise and bequeath to him the whole of my Land with one half my negroes, and the houses, household and kitchen furniture aforementioned, after the death of my wife, to him and his heirs forever; and in the division which shall be made between himself and Aunt of the negroes, I direct that Jack, Jerry and Pegg may fall into his division.

Item, being desirous of leaving a testimony of my affection for the following persons, I give devise and bequeath to them the following Legacies viz., to my nephew M. W. Brooke senr. I give and bequeath the sum of three hundred pounds.  To my grand-niece Nancy Ingram the oldest daughter of M. Thomas Ingram I give one hundred pounds. To Nancy Powell the oldest daughter of Maj. Powell of Middleburg, I give and bequeath one hundred pounds. And I give and bequeath the same legacy of hundred pounds to Lucy Diggs the oldest daughter of M. Thomas Diggs which said several pecuniary Legacies are to be paid within four years after my decease.

Item, If there be not enough personal property at my decease to pay my debts, it is my will that my land be liable. Lastly, I constitute and appoint my brother Francis Whiting and my friend Edmund Brooke Executors of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills and establishing this as my last. In Testimony whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name, and affixed my seal this sixth day of February in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and six.

M. Whiting {seal}

Signed, sealed and acknowledged as the Last Will and Testmanet of Mathew Whiting in presence of
Richd. B. Alexander
John McClenachan
E. Brooke

At a Court cont'd & held for Prince William County Decembr 4, 1810

This last will and testament of Mathew Whiting decd was presented to the Court and being proved by the Oath of Edmund Brooke was ordered to be Certified and at a Court held for said County February 4th 1811 this said Last Will and Testament of Mathew Whiting decd was presented to the Court and being fully proved by the Oath of Richard B. Alexander was ordered to be recorded and Edmund Brooke one of the Executors therein named having made oath to the same according to law and taken the Oath of an Executor and given bond with security according to law Certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste, J. Williams    Ct. Cur

No comments:

Post a Comment