Monday, July 25, 2016

Amanuensis Monday: Will: Richard Vanpelt

RICHARD VANPELT Will
Prince William County Will Book Q, pg. 148

I Richard Vanpelt of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia knowing the uncertainty of human life and being of sound and disposing mind revoking all others do make this my last will and testament in the following form and words to wit. It is my will and desire that my wife Polly Vanpelt shall inherit all my estate both real and personal should she survive me and to enjoy the same during her natural life and after the death of my wife Polly it is my wish that my whole estate be sold, except my servant Daniel and two thirds of the proceeds of such sale to be paid to my grandson Joseph Vanpelt, and the other third to be paid over to my daughter Ellen German or her legal heirs. It is my will and desire that my servant Daniel shall be set free after the death of myself and my wife. Given under my hand and seal this 18th day of September 1851.

Richard Vanpelt {seal}

Signed and sealed in presence of

Jas. D. Tennille
T. A. Smith
Edward Harding

At a court held for Prince William on the 2d day of May 1856

This last will and testament of Richard Vanpelt deceased was proved according to law, by the oaths of James D. Tennille, Thomas A. Smith and Edward Harding witnesses thereto, and is ordered to be recorded, and there being no executor named in the said Will and Polly Vanpelt having relinquished in writing her right to the administration on the said descendants estate in favor of Thomas A. Smith, and on the motion of the said Thomas A. Smith who made oath, and together written L. Carter his security, entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of one thousand eight hundred dollars, conditioned as the law directs, certificate is granted the said Thomas A. Smith for obtaining letters of administration on the said descendant’s estate, with his will aforesaid annexed in due form.

Teste, P. D. Lipscomb, clk



No comments:

Post a Comment