Sunday, July 17, 2016

Church Record Sunday: Dumfries Episcopal Church

Evening Star (DC)
29 July 1916

All-day services will be held tomorrow in the Episcopal Church at Dumfries, Va., in commemoration of the 164th anniversary of church life in Prince William county. The present edifice rests upon stones which formed a part of the foundation for the church erected upon the same site in 1752. The churchyard surrounding the little chapel is the last resting place of ancestors of men and women whose names, it is pointed out, are a part of Virginia history, in literature, and in the affairs of church and state.

The little village of Dumfries, early in the seventeenth century one of the foremost seaport towns in Virginia, is now situated at the head of the Quanitco creek, where navigation is impossible for even a small canoe. The oldest inhabitant directs the visitor to the spot where once stood the tobacco houses where English traders bought the weed recommended by Sir Walter Raleigh, the bank of Dumfries, where reposed the wealth of Virginians of colonial days, the old mill which converted Virginia grain into flour for ocean trade, or the old Dumfries theater, where colonial society thronged to see the latest product of the English stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment