Monday, January 15, 2024

Will: William Howison

William Howison's Will
PWCo Will Book I, pg. 65

Washington Nov. 15th 1804

Most honored parents,

Our departure has been delayed from Monday 'till friday, very much to my satisfaction as it has given us time to breathe a little before commencing so long a journey.  Our preparations are now compleated, and we are to set out early in the morning. Every thing promises an agreeable journey if the weather is favorable, and the accommodations will be such that we cannot suffer much even by the worst weather. 

Although I have great hopes of revisiting this Country before the expiration of many years, yet as the great distance to be traveled must make my return uncertain, I wish to provide for the disposition of what little property I leave behind, in case circumstances should call for it: This I shall do by simply signifying my wishes, assured that they will be as much respected as if expressed in the most binding form. 

The property I shall leave in this part of the country consists of. Five shares of stock in the Bank of Virginia worth at par $500. 

To fill up these shares Mr. Trone is to pay Saml Howison $150 when called for ... $500

A Debt of $200 due from Samuel Howison, which if he finds it convenient is to be likewise invested in Stock ... $200

A Mahogany press and Book case left in the care of William James Esquire to be sold if it will bring $35 ... $35

Several small debts left with W. Boyd Esquire to collect, amounting to about ... $15

John Howison owes me $750 which I may possibly collect on my way ... $17.50

$707.50 [subtotal]

The money and property I shall take with me after paying every debt, are supposed to be worth $500 ... $500

$1267.50 [Total]

Should I not return, I wish the following distributions to be made. The debts due from my brothers John and Samuel are to be relinquished to them, if remaining unpaid.

My parents, if they or either of them survive me are to enjoy whatever else I may leave, during life. At their death let it be equally divided between my sister Mary ann and my brother Robert after giving my Brother Stephen $200.

It is to be understood that this arrangement is only to take place if I die leaving no family of my own or without making a future disposition of my estate. I have neither time nor paper to add more. May you all merit and experience the Guardianship of that providence on whom we all depend.

With lasting and dutiful affection,
Yours,

Wm. Howison

(Directed to Mr. Stephen Howison for P. Wm. County, Virginia)


At a Court held for Prince William County, Sept. 2d 1805

This last will and Testament of Wm. Howison decd was presented to the Court and the said Will being proved by the Oath of John Williams to be all in the hand writing of the said William Howison the same was ordered to be recorded. And administration with the said Will annexed is granted to Stephen Howison he having taken the Oath of an admor. and entered into and acknowwedged a bond with Security according to Law.

Teste, J. Williams
Ct. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment