Monday, December 5, 2022

Will: Martha E. Peyton (1831)

Will of Martha E. Peyton
PWCo. Will Book N, pg. 383
Dated: 30 June 1831; Proved: 3 October 1831

I Martha E. Peyton of Prince William County Va. do make and ordain this my last will and testament, herby revoking all other wills heretofore made by me. 

First, It is my will and desire that all my debts and funeral expenses be paid as soon as possible (my debts few and of small amount) to be paid out of any money I may leave, or bonds due or to become due to me, and from the sale of what little stock I may leave, and household and kitchen furniture; and should there not be enough to discharge the just claims against me, I then direct and do hereby request my Executor hereinafter named mentioned, to hire out my negroes for one year, or longer if necessary, and apply the proceeds thereof to the payment of my debts until they are all paid.

Secondly, I do hereby will and direct that after my debts are paid in the manner aforesaid, that all my negroes, without exception, shall be emancipated and have their freedom, they having served me during my life, and as I am unwilling for them to be kept in slavery or owned by any person after my death.

Lastly, I do hereby appoint, constitute and ordain my friend Jesse Ewell Junr. Executor of this my last will. 

In Witness hereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 30th day of June in the year of our Lord 1831.

Martha E. Peyton {seal}

Signed, sealed and acknowledged in the presence of us
Jesse Ewell Jr.
Charlotte Ewell

At a Court held for Prince William County the 3d day of October 1831.

This last will and testament of Martha E. Peyton decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the Oaths of Jesse Ewell Jr. & Charlotte Ewell is admitted to record and Jesse Ewell Jr. the Executor therein named here in Court renounced the burthen of the Executor thereof. 

And at a Court held for said County the 2d. day of January 1832. 

On the motion of John W. Tyler, it is ordered that Jesse Ewell Sheriff of this county do take into his possession the Estate of Martha E. Peyton decd. & administer the same according to law with the Will annexed, it appearing that she has been decd upward of three months & no person having applied for administration on her Estate.

Teste, P. D. Dawe  Ct. Cur.



No comments:

Post a Comment