Friday, August 13, 2021

Deed of Emancipation: Harrison to Montgomery (1811)

Harrison to Montgomery Deed of Emancipation
PWCo Deed Book 0004 pg. 259
Proved 4 February 1811

KNOW ALL MEN by these presents that I Philip Harrison of the Town of Dumfries County of Prince William and Commonwealth of Virginia for and in consideration of the service of Sarah Montgomery my lawfull slave have released emansipated and set free and by these presents emancipate release and set free the aforesaid Sarah Montgomery who is a black woman and I do hereby acquit her of all services which by the Law of the Land she may owe to me and do hereby declare the aforesaid Sarah Montgomery to be to all intents and purposes an Emansipated Enfranchised and Free Woman. 

In Witness whereof I have hereunto affixed my hand and seal this 24 day of November A.D. 1810.

Philip Harrison{seal}

Signed sealed & delivered in the presence of ___________

At a Court held for Prince William County February 4th 1811.

This Deed of Emancipation from Philip Harrison to Sarah Montgomery was acknowledged by the said Harrison and ordered to be recorded.

Teste, J. Williams



No comments:

Post a Comment