Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Will: Leonard Brasfield (1817)

LEONARD BRASFIELD Will
Prince William County Will Book L, pg. 45
Dated 22 March 1817; Proved 2 June 1817

In the name of God Amen, I Leonard Brasfield of the county of Prince William being and weak (but of sound mind and disposing memory) calling to mind the uncertainty of human life and having a desire to dispose of all such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with in the following manner viz:

First, I resign my soul to almighty God who gave it hoping through the merits of christ my blessed redeemer to attain to everlasting joy and felicity: and my body to the earth to be buried in a christian like manner by my executors hereafter mentioned.

Item second, I give and bequeath to my loving wife Nancy Brasfield all my estate both real and personal of all kind whatsoever during her natural life or widowhood and after her death or intermarriage to be divided among my sons and daughters in the following manner Viz:

Item third, I give to my son Leonard Brasfield; and my daughters, Mariah Brasfield, Lucinda Brasfield; Betsy Brasfield and Julia Brasfield; each a horse and saddle worth one hundred dollars; and my sons Thomas and Leonard Brasfield, and my daughters Mariah, Lucinda, Betsy and Julia Brasfield, each a good feather bed, and I give the same to them and their heirs forever.

Item fourth, If either of my daughters Mariah, Lucinda, Betsy, or Julia Brasfield shall remain unmarried at the decease of my loving wife Nancy Brasfield it is my will and desire that in that case that either or all of them shall have the one half of my dwelling house for a home and dwelling untill they may either marry or depart this life, and for the special performance of this fourth Item I lay of a Lott of Land including all my houses which I suppose will be of more value than any of the other lotts when laid off which said lott shall begin at a slooping white oak in the line of Capt. Thomas Newman and corner of the sd. Newman's purchase from the Estate of Matthew Page extendtending thence a long his line purchased from the Estate of said Page twenty yards to the south side of the Intersection of my spring branch with said line, then e in a westerly direction in a right line or Parellel with my back line between myself and Capt. Thomas Newman untill by running a right line with the first to the back line will include all the buildings together with the old garden thence a parellel line with the first to my back line between myself and  apt. Newman then e with sd. back line to the first station; thinking this lott will be of more value than any of the others when laid of it is my will and desire that at the time of a division of my estate that my three sons George, Leonard and Thomas Brasfield shall draw for the said lott and which of either of my three sons shall draw said lott I give the same to him and his heirs forever.

Item fifth, It is my will and desire (that after the lott is laid of including the mantion House) that the ballance of my Land shall be laid off in lotts as nearly equal as possible have regard to quantity and quality wood sec. and that after my sons shall have drawn for the house lott the other two together with my Daughters Nancy Wheeler, Mariah, Lucinda Betsy and Julia Brasfield, shall draw for the seven lotts so laid of beginning with the Eldest and so on to the youngest.

Item sixth, it is my will and desire that my negroes at the decease of my loving wife may be valued and drawn for by my eight children, viz, Geo., Thomas, & Leonard Brasfield, Nancy Wheeler, Mariah, Lucinda, Betsy and Julia Brasfield, so that each may have a chance to get one by paying the difference in value, and I give the same to them and their Heirs forever.

Item seventh, it is my will and desire that all the rest of my Estate of whatsoever kind shall be equally divided among my eight children Viz. Nancy Wheeler, George, Thomas, Leonard, Mariah, Lucinda, Betsy and Julia Brasfield.

Lastly, I hereby constitute and appoint my son in law William Wheeler and my son George Brasfield Executors of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all other or former Wills or Testaments by me heretofore made, In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 22nd day of March 1817.

Leonard Brasfield {seal}

Signed, Sealed published and declared as and for the last will and testament of the above named Leo. Brasfield in presence of Wm. Cundiff, Thos. Newman, William J. Newman, Thomas Fortune, Richard Newman


At a Court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County June 2, 1817.

This last will and testament of Leonard Brasfield dec. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of Thomas Newman and Thomas Fortune is admitted to record. And Wm. Wheeler and George Brasfield the Exors. therein named came into Court and made oath to the same according to Law and having taken the oath of Exors. and having performed what is usual in such cases Certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste,
Phil. D. Dawe  Ct. Cur.




No comments:

Post a Comment