Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Will: Robert Luttrell (1819)

Will of Robert Luttrell
PWCo Will Book L, pg. 283

In the name of God Amen. I Robert Luttrell of Prince William County and Commonwealth of Virginia being in my perfect sences do make and ordain this my last will & testament in manner and form following to wit.

Impromis I give and bequeath to my wife Nancy Luttrell for & during her natural life the use of one sixth of my slaves the one sixth of all my stock all my household & kitchen furniture with the use of my mantion house and two hundred acres of land thereunto adjoining part of which land was formerly the property of Phillimon Waters and after the death of my said wife I give and devise the affoursaid land to my two sons Simon & Thomas to be equally divided between them and the slaves devised to my wife after her death to be equally divided between my three daughters Melenday Jane and Peggy for them and their heirs forever.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son Simon Luttrell and his heirs forever the plantation that Benson Lynn lives on containing 166 acres and 426 1/2 acres of land adjoining the lands of Misses Tebbs and John McMillian. The one sixth pat of my slaves the one sixth part of all my stock except the horses and there is to be four hundred & seventy dollars deducted out of his part.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Luttrell and to his heirs forever five hundred and ninety two & a half actes of land the one sixth part of my slaves & the one sixth part of all my stock but in case my land shall contain more than 1385 acres what is over is to be equally divided between my tow sons Simon and Thomas.

Item.  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Melenday Davis and to her heirs forever one sixth part of my slaves, the one sixth part of my stock.

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Jane Luttrell and to heirs forever the one sixth part of my slaves, the one sixth part of all my stock and one hundred dollars, one bed & furniture bedstead & desk.

Item. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Peggy Luttrell and to her heirs forever the one sixth part of my slave, the one sixth part of all my stock and one hundred dollars one bed bedstead & furniture for said bed one desk a saddle & bridle.

All my property that is not mentioned in this will is to be equally divided betw[e]en my wife and children. My wife is to be furnished with a sufficient quantity of pork corn & c. to last her and her family twelve months after my death.  It is my wish that my son Thomas Luttrell is sent to school five years his schooling & bord to be paid out of my estate. Lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my son Simon Luttrell & John F. Davis to be the Executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking every other will and testament by me heretofore made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 2nd day of April in the year 1812.

Robert Luttrell {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged to be the last will & testament of Robert Luttrell in the presents of the sd. Luttrell and of us the subscribers who we desired by him to attest the same.

Teste. William F. Moore, Bernard Botts,
Wm. Smith, Thomas Chapman


At a Court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County March 1st 1819. This last will and testament of Robert Luttrell dec. was presented to the Court by the oaths of Wm. F. Moore Bernard Botts and Thomas Chapman is ordered to be recorded and the said Simon Luttrell having made oath to the same according to Law and taken the oath of an Exor. and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste.  Phil. D. Dawe  Ct Cur



No comments:

Post a Comment