Friday, May 30, 2014

Will: Elizabeth Brazier (1797)

ELIZABETH BRAZIER Will
Prince William County Will Book H, pg. 194
29 Jun 1795; proved 3 Apr 1797

In the name of God Amen I ELIZABETH BRAZIER of the county of Prince William and commonwealth of Virginia being of sound mind and memory, but aged and infirm, do make this my last will & testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

Imprimis I commit my soul to God from whom I received it, and my body to the earth to be decently interred at the discretion of my Executors hoping in a joyful resurrection through the mediation of our blessed savior.  With respect to the property I leave behind me I bequeath it in the following manner.

I give and bequeath to WILLIAM BARNES Esq. Of the Town of Dumfries as trustee for my daughter SARAH HARRISON CANNON, and her heirs, not to be subject to the will or controul of her husband JOHN CANNON, but for her entire and separate use, a negro man slave called BEN, left to me by my mother MARY FOWKE, and I do request and injoin my said trustee WILLIAM BARNES Esq. To hire out the said slave BEN after my decease from year to year for the use of my said daughter and to account with her annually for the same; I also give and bequeath to WILLIAM BARNES Esq. Of the Town of Dumfries as Trustee for my said daughter SARAH HARRISON CANNON, and her heirs, not to be subject to the will or controul of her husband JOHN CANNON, but for her entire and separate use, all the horses, cattle, household furniture and wearing apparel, which I may leave at the time of my death, and I do request and injoin the said WILLIAM BARNES Esq. To dispose of the said stock or furniture, and place the same out at interest for the benefit of my said daughter and her heirs and account with her annually for the same; and it is my will, that if my daughter SARAH HARRISON CANNON, shall survive her husband JOHN CANNON, then the whole of the bequests as before mentioned made to her and her heirs shall be immediately vetted in her, and the above mentioned WILLIAM BARNES be entirely discharged from the same, he accounting properly for any monies arising from the same that may be in his hands.

Lastly, I appoint my friends Col. JOHN HOOE and WILLIAM BARNES Esq. Of Dumfries my executors.  Given under my hand and seal this the 29th day of June 1795.

ELIZABETH [her mark] BRAZIER  {seal}

Signed, sealed and acknowledged before us

THOMAS BLACKBURN
CHRISTIAN BLACKBURN

At a court held for Prince William County the 3rd day of April 1797.

This last will and testament of ELIZABETH BRAZIER decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of THOMAS BLACKBURN and CHRISTIAN BLACKBURN was ordered to be recorded.

Teste
JOHN WILLIAMS  Ct Cur

No comments:

Post a Comment