Friday, February 19, 2016

Friend of Friends Friday: Hale - Deed of Emancipation

Hale to Dorcas
Deed of Emancipation
PWCo Deed Book 3, pg. 305

Whereas Joseph Hale of Prince William County in the State of Virginia being legally possessed of three slaves, named Dorcas, Jacob & Dorcas Slaves for life – for divers good causes and considerations [to] me thereunto moving as well for the sum of six hundred and on dollars lawful money of the united states to me in hand paid the receipt whereof is acknowledged do hereby fully clearly and absolutely emancipate liberate and set free the said negro slaves from slavery forever and I do hereby for myself my heirs exors and assigns remise release and forever quit claim unto the said slaves all my right, title and interest as well to those person as services & estates hereby declaring them absolutely free from and against me and my heirs and against all and every person & persons claiming by from or under me.  In Witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and affixed my seal this 18th day of July one thousand eight hundred & seven.

Jos. Hale {seal}

Signed sealed & delivered
In the presence of

Jere: W. Bronough
John Bronough
James C. Bronough

At a Court held for Prince William County October 5th 1807 this Deed of Emancipation from Joseph Hale to Dorcas (Jacob), Jacob and Dorcas was acknowledged by said Hale to be his act and Deed and Ordered to be recorded.

Teste,

J. Williams clk

No comments:

Post a Comment