Thursday, May 22, 2014

Will: Presley Davis (1823)

PRESLEY DAVIS Will
Prince William County Will Book M, pg 10
26 Feb 1823; proved 08 Apr 1823

In the name of God Amen I PRESLEY DAVIS of the County of Prince William & State of Virginia do make & ordain this my last will and testament in maner and form following: to wit First I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife SALLY the use of all my property during her widowhood and in case she should marry after my death I give unto her all the property I got by the death of her father together with all that may be coming from his estate and one horse the balance of the property which I give my wife during her widowhood if she should marry I give to my children to be divided in the manner hereafter mentioned.  Secondly, all the property which I willed to my wife during her widowhood, if she should marry again, I give to be equally divided among my four sons at the time of marriage and if she should not mary again to be divided at her death.  Thirdly and lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint Richard Davis Junr. and Simon Luttrell Executors of this my last will and testament revoking all others heretofore made by me.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty sixth day of February eighteen hundred and twenty three.

The words at the time of marriage interlined before signing.

PRESLEY DAVIS

Signed sealed & delivered in the presence of us the subscribers
WM. P. DUNNINGTON, WM. C. DAVIS, FRANCIS JACKSON

At a Court held for Prince William County April 8th 1823.  This last will and testament of PRESLEY DAVIS decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of WM. C. DAVIS & FRANCIS JACKSON is admitted to record and on the motion of RICHD DAVIS JR. the Exor named in the said will who made oath thereto according to law and executed and acknowledged a bond with security conditioned as the law directs certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, P. D. DAWE

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, do you have any idea who this Presley Davis is and how his wife connects to Hezekiah Fairfax? This will of Presley Davis was presented as evidence in the chancery cause of Admr of Hezekiah Fairfax,ETC V Margaret Fairfax Widow ETC and I can't figure out how they are related. Thanks and I sure do appreciate your blog.

    ReplyDelete