Saturday, August 20, 2016

Will: Theodore Vandenburgh (1853)

Theodore Vandenburgh Will
Prince William Co. Will Book Q pg. 147

In the name of God, Amen I Theodore Vandenburgh of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia, being of sound mind and memory, do make and publish this my last Will and Testament. I give and bequeath to my mother Emily Vandenburgh all of my personal property, also one hundred acres of land from the South end of the last I purchased from Jesse E. Weeks Senr. Known as the home and mill tract, commencing at the Spriggs and Dumfries road and running Easterly on the line between Mr. Keys and myself to the first corner at the stock yard and then running an easterly course until it strikes the east line of sufficient width to make one hundred acres, the aforesaid land and chattels I wish to be freed from all encumbrance out of the avails of the balance of my Estate, after my just and lawful debts are paid. The balance I give and bequeath unto my father, John W. Vandenburgh to have the use of or interest during his lifetime for the support or so much of it as he may need of either principle or interest at his decease the balance I give bequeath and devise unto my brother Wyndent Vandenburgh and my sisters Frances, Mary, Elizabeth, and Caroline Vandenburgh to be divided in equal shares between them. I do nominate and appoint my Father Jno. Vandenburgh to be the sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament, and I do hereby empower him as such to dispose of my Estate, except the one hundred acres bequeathed to my Mother Emily Vandenburgh, either at public or private sale as he may judge best, and invest the same in real or personal property after my just and lawful debts are payed, and the one hundred acres bequeathed to my Mother shall be discharged from all encumbrances. In testimony, whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal, and publish and decree this to be my last Will and Testament, in presence of the Witnesses named below, this 9th day of April one thousand eight-hundred and fifty-three.

Theodore Vandenburgh {seal}

Signed, sealed, declared and published by the said Theodore Vandenburgh as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request and in his presence and each others have subscribed our names as Witnesses hereto

John M. Payne
Robt. E. Utterbach

A. B. Between the 10th and 11th lines from the bottom of the first page the word principal was omitted through mistake, and afterwards ad[d]ed.

John M. Payne
Robt. E. Utterbach

At a court held for Prince Wm. County on the 2d day of May 1853 this last Will and Testament of Theodore Vandenburgh decd was proved by the oaths of Jno. M. Payne and Robt. E. Utterback witnesses thereto, and was ordered to be recorded and at a Court of quarterly Sessions held for said county on the 6th day of June 1853 on the motion of Jno. W. Vandenburgh the executor named in the last will & testament of Theodore Vandenburgh decd. who made oath and together with Thomas B. Alexander and Maklow S. Lindsly his Seryd. entered into and ackd. a bond in the penalty of $500.00 conditioned as the law directs certificate is granted the said Jno. W. Vandenburgh for obtaining letters of administration on the said decedents estate in due form.


Teste, P. D. Lipscomb, clk.

No comments:

Post a Comment