Monday, May 11, 2015

Will: Moses Davis (1811)

MOSES DAVIS Will
Prince William County Will Book K, pg 76
03 Jan 1807; proved 04 Feb 1811

In the name of God Amen this 3rd day of January 1807 I MOSES DAVIS of the County of Prince William & State of Virginia being in sound & perfect mind & memory thanks be given to god and calling into mind the mortality of my body & knowing that it is apointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last will & testament and first I recommend my soul into the hands of god that gave it me hopeing that through the merits of the Lord Jesus it may find acceptance with god, and my worldly estate I give devise & dispose of the same in the following manner and form.  Viz. Item I give and bequeath unto JAMES DAVIS the son of brother WILLIAM DAVIS one mare, mares saddle & bridle to be delivered unto him when he shall arrive to the age of 21 years old.  Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife SIBBEY DAVIS all the remaining part of my estate together with the lease of land I now live on to hold enjoy & possess the same and to dispose of the same in any manner as she may think  most proper the part of my estate remaining consisting of all my slaves kitchen & household furniture, stock & plantation utensils and I do appoint my wife SIBLEY DAVIS my executrix of this my last will utterly revoking and disalowing all & every other wills and executrix’s & executors by me in any manner will’d or named & every other legacies by me before this time bequeathed ratifying this will and this only to be my last will and testament.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 3rd day of January 1807.  The within will of MOSES DAVIS is brought forward on this 2nd page and signed sealed and acknowledged by the testator as his last will and testament.

MOSES DAVIS

In the presence of
JOHN THORN
JOHN COCKRELL

At a Court held for Prince William County  February 4th 1811

This last will and testament of MOSES DAVIS decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of JOHN THORN and JOHN COCKRELL was ordered to be recorded and SIBBY DAVIS the Executrix therein named having made oath to the same according to law and take the oath of an executrix and given security according to law certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste,  J. WILLIAMS

No comments:

Post a Comment