Monday, April 20, 2015

Will: James Tant (1824)

JAMES TANT Will
Prince William County Will Book M, pg 116
28 Sep 1823; 05 Jan 1824

In the name of God Amen I JAMES TANT of the Village of Occoquan County of Prince William & State of Virginia, do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following.  That is to say, First, it is my will and desire as soon after my death as practicable that all my property be sold to the highest bidder on a credit of six months.  Secondly that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid.  Thirdly that the following distribution be made of the residue of my estate.  First, to my brother JOHN TANT I give and bequeath one full half of all my estate independently of my wearing apparel which I wish to be given to him entire.  Secondly, out of the other half, I wish Mrs. PORTERS CLARY to have the sum of ten dollars, and Mr. ENOCH WARD to have the sum of five dollars, and THOMAS L. SELECMAN to have the sum of five dollars (to be paid to his father for his use).  Thirdly, I will and desire that the residue shall be equally divided between my son JOHN TANT belonging to Mr. DENNIS JOHNSTON and my daughter LUCY TANT, belonging to Mr. PHILIP PRITCHARD.  Fourthly, I desire that Mr. MICHAEL CLEARY, Mr. JAMES RUSSELL and ADDISON H. CLARKE, act jointly as my executors to carry this my last will and testament into effect hereby revoking all former wills by me made.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 28th day of September in the year of our lord eighteen hundred and twenty three.

JAMES TANT

Signed sealed published and declared by the above named James Tant to be his last will and testament in the presence of
PHILIP DEAKINS, ZEBULON KANKEY, JOSEPH ANDERSON

At a Court held for Prince William County January 5th 1824.  This last will and testament of JAMES TANT decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of ZEBULON KANKEY and JOSEPH ANDERSON is admitted to record and at a court held for Prince William County February 2d 1824. ADDISON H. CLARKE one of the Executors named in the last will and testament of JAMES TANT decd. came into court and made oath to the same according to law and having taken the oath of an Executor and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, PHIL. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment