Saturday, August 10, 2013

Will: Thomas Rolls (1818)

THOMAS ROLLS Will
Prince William County Will Book L, pg 218
27 May 1818; proved 06 Jul 1818

I THOMAS ROLLS of the County of Prince William & State of Virginia being sick of body but of sound and disposing memory and knowing the certainty of death and the uncertainty of life do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say 1st I give to my wife FANNY ROLLS one bed with all its furniture also one of my best pots & hooks to be enjoyed by her during her natural life and at her death to be divided equally among my children WILLIAM NANCY & FANNY.  2nd I give to my daughter NANCY ROLLS one redd no horned cow one feather bed and furniture, one loom with all its gear one black walnut chest one pott & hooks and one third part of my hoggs to be enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.  3rd I give to my daughter FANNY ROLLS one redd cow and her yearling and feather bed and furniture one poplar chest one iron pott and hooks also one other third part of my stock of hoggs to her and her heirs forever.  4th I give to my son WILLIAM ROLLS one red cow and sorell horse saddle & bridle one shot gun and other third part of my stock of hoggs one ____ and all my wearing apparel of whatever kind to be enjoyed by him during his natural life and at his death to be divided between my daughters NANCY & FANNY on condition that he never has any lawful heirs.  In that case they can have no legal claim to it.  5th I will and desire that after my death my Executrix to be herein after named do sell all the residue of my estate not specially devised, and out of the proceeds of sale pay to my sons JOHN & JACOB ROLLS also my daughters SARAH ROLLS one dollar each and also all my just debts and funeral expenses and the balance of such sales if any to be equally divided between my two daughters NANCY & FANNY and my son WILLIAM ROLLS to be enjoyed by them and their heirs forever, and lastly I do hereby constitute my daughter NANCY ROLLS my Executrix of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other or former wills or testaments by me heretofore made.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 27th day of May 1818.

THOS. ROLLS  {seal}

Signed sealed published and declared as and for the last will and testament of the within named Thomas Rolls
JOHN MONTJOY, W. R. CHAPMAN, FRANCIS CANNON

At a Court held for Prince William County  July 6th 1818

This last will and testament of THOS. ROLLS decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oath of WM. R. CHAPMAN is ordered to be recorded and FANNY ROLLS widow of THOMAS ROLLS decd. came into Court & renounced the provisions contained for her in the last will and testament of the said THOMAS MROLLS decd., and on the motion of NANCY ROLLS and FANNY ROLLS it is ordered that GERARD ALEXANDER Sheriff of the County do take into his possession the Estate of THOMAS ROLLS decd. and administer the former according to law.


Teste, PHIL. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment