Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Will: Maryann Harrison


Will of Maryann Harrison
PWCo Will Book I, pg. 8-9
Dated 4 November 1803; Admitted: 2 January 1804

In the name of God Amen I Maryann Harrison do make and ordain this my last will and testament.  I desire all my just debts to be paid.  I bequeath to my granddaughter Maryann Hereford my negro boy David and I desire that the same boy may by my Executor hereafter named be found out to have such trade as my said Executor may think his genuine and ability best adapted to and that when he acquires his trade he may be delivered to my said Granddaughter.

I bequeath to my daughter Maryann Dade the use of all my other slaves for three years subject to the payment of thirty six pounds to my son Matthew Harrison for a chair given her and in case my said daughter Maryann Dade should survive three year or leave issue then I bequeath to my said daughter or her issue as the case may be all my other slaves as afsd.  My son in law Dade is a man of merit if his conduct to me requires an apology for making this limitation and as such I say nothing but the needy circumstances of my daughter Catharine of the easy circumstances in which he would induce me to make the limitation.  In case my daughter Maryann Dade should die without issue before the expiration of three years I desire that all my slaves except the said David be sold to such masters as they may choose provided they will give as much as the appraisement and the monies arising there from paid to my daughter Ann Catharine Hereford.  I have lately purchased a lottery ticket in case the same should draw a prize I desire that my Executor will dispose of the proceeds among my two daughters in such manner and proportion as his discretion may direct him.  The residue of my estate I bequeath to my daughter Ann Catharine Hereford.  I appoint and constitute my son Mathew Harrison my Executor of this last will and testament expecting he will charge no commission of nothing more than for monies advanced for necessary expenses.  I request my son, Mathew to purchase a pair of ear rings and present them to my granddaughter Maria Harrison as a small remembrance of my impressions of her affectionate and dutiful conduct towards me.  In testimony whereof I have subscribed my name and affixed my seal this 4th November in the year of our Lord 1803.

Mary Ann {X} Harrison {Seal}

In presence of the subscribers and
Attested by them at the request
Of the Testator. Harrison
Mary ___ Hegges (?)
Wm. Barnes

At a court held for Prince William County January 2nd, 1804.

This last will and testament of Maryann Harrison dec'd was presented to the Court by Mathew Harrison the Executor therein named who made oath thereto according to law and being proved by the oaths of Mathew Harrison and William Barnes was ordered to be recorded.  And the said executor having performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste, John Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment