Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bill of Sale: Burroughs to Tackett and Grigsby

Researching slave ancestors can be a challenge, but every day more resources and period records are finding their way onto the Internet. One such resource is Afrigeneas, which has been online for ten years.

In addition to slave schedules and census records, county Deed and Will books can also provide a wealth of information.

Burroughs to Tackett and Grigsby Bill of Sale
Prince William County Deed Book 1, pg. 77

Know all men by these presents that I Benjamin Burroughs of the County of Prince William and State of Virginia for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred and fifty pounds current money of Virginia to me in hand paid by William Tackett and James Grigsby of the County and Commonwealth aforesaid (the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge and thereof do acquit and discharge the said William Tackett and James Grigsby their heirs executors and administrators) have granted bargained & sold and by these presents do grant bargain and sell unto the said William Tackett & James Grigsby, their heirs Executors, administrators & assigns, one negro man named Abraham and one negroe woman named Mary to have & to hold the said two slaves Abraham & Mary to them the said William Tackett and James Grigsby their heirs executors admors & assigns, and I the said Benjamin Burroughs do for myself my heirs executors and admors warrant and for ever defend the aforesaid property to them the said William Tackett and James Grigsby their heirs executors & assigns against me my heirs executors & administrator, and against any and every other person or persons whatsoever. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 5th day of March 1800.

Benjamin Burroughs {seal}

Signed and sealed and delivered in presence of }
Hugh Davis, A. Lithgow Jr.
Allen Lowden, Thos. A. Smith

At a Court contd. And held for Prince Wm. County the 6th day of May 1800. This bill of sale from Ben. Burroughs to Wm. Tackett and Jas. Grigsby was proved by the oath of Alex. Lithgow Junr. And Thos. A. Smith and ordered to be recorded.

Teste. John Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment