Monday, September 16, 2019

Will: John Carr

John Carr Will
PWCo Will Book I, pg. 381

In the name of God Amen I JOHN CARR of the Town of Dumfries County of Prince William and State of Virginia being sick and weak of body but of sound and disposing mind and memory do make and ordain this my last will and testament.

First and principally I desire that my debts be paid and that my Exors hereafter named be the sole judges of the necessity of proof on claims against my estate.  Item I give and bequeath as follows - to Dr. Jno Spencer my sorrel mares to Miss Margt. Overall one hundred pounds. to Betsy Tebbs children namely Mary F. Muschett, Margt. Carr Tebbs, Ann F. Tebbs, Thos. Tebbs, Foushee Tebbs, Wm. Tebbs and Saml. Tebbs each one hundred pounds to Thomas Chapman and Thomas A. Smith each one thousand dollars and to Danl. Webster one hundred pounds.  I further desire that any surplus of my estate remaining after payment of the debts and legacies before mentioned be paid and equally divided between my mother Margt. Carr and sister Betsy Tebbs.  Lastly I appoint my friends Thomas Chapman and Thomas A. Smith my whole and sol Executors of this my last will and testament and esire that they may not be required or copmelled to give security for performance of their Executorship. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 12th day of March 1808.

John Carr {seal}

Sign & Seal and ackd by the Testator in presence of us who were requested by him to sign as Witnesses.

Geo. Williams
Robt. Overall
George Cockrell

At a Court of Continued and held for Prince Wm. County April 5th 1808.

This last will and testament of John Carr dec'd was presented to the Court by Thomas A. Smith one of the Executors therein named and being proved by the Oaths of George Williams and George Cockrell is ordered to be recorded. And Thomas Chapman and Thos. A. Smith the Executors therein named came into Court and made Oath to the same according to Law and the said Executors having performed what is usual in such cases Certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste
J. Williams Ct. Cur.






No comments:

Post a Comment