Friday, July 19, 2019

Friend of Friends Friday: Will: John C. Barbee (1853)

Will of John C. Barbee
PWCo Will Book Q, pt. 171-172

I John C. Barbee being of sound mind and memory but am aware of the uncertainty of life and certainty of death am desirous of arranging such worldly effect as God has blessed me with in the following order.

To Wit, I give and bequeath to my brothers Andrew D. Wroe and James M. Barbee and my sister Elizabeth W. Barbee and Mary C. Barbee my boy Henry and all my right, lotte [?] and interest in boy Marshall; but should any or either of said distributees die without a child, said property is to go to the survivors, but my Mother is to have the use and benefit of Henry during her natural life but in no wise or respect is the boy Henry to be under the control or management of my Father. My brothers are to have my wearing apparel, my nephew and Andrew C. Wroe is to have my watch, my mother and sisters Elizabeth W. Barbee and Mary C. Barbee is to have all my money after paying all necessary expenses.  My sister Elizabeth W. Barbee is to have my trunk.  I hereby constitute and appoint Andrew D. Wroe my Executor to this my last will and testament. In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this eleventh day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty three.

John C. Barbee {seal}

Signed and acknowledged before us
Atteste
Noah Fowler
William A. Fowler


At a court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County on the 1st day of August 1853

This last will and testament of John C. Barbee was proved according to law by the oaths of Noah Fowler and William A. Fowler subscribing witnesses thereto and is ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Andrew D. Wroe the Executor therein named who made oath and together with John C. Weedon his security entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of one thousand dollars conditioned as the law directs, certificate is granted to the said Andrew D. Wroe for obtaining letters of administration on the said decedents Estate in due form.

Teste
P. D. Lipscomb  Clk.

No comments:

Post a Comment