Saturday, October 15, 2016

Newspaper Tidbit: Old Landmark Gone - "Eureka"

Alexandria Gazette
3 November 1873

OLD LAND MARK GONE -- The "Eureka," the first public house opened in Manassas after the war, has disappeared from among the institutions of the place, to give room for a more imposing structure. The "Eureka" was a small frame "baloon" built house, one and a half stories high, and was used as a private entertainment, and furnished room for the ticket office of the railroad, Adams express office, and telegraph office. It was purchased a short time ago from the owner, Mr. Wm. S. Fewell, by Messrs. F. J. Cannon and son, who are now engaged in the erection of a three story frame building 80 by 28 feet, and when finished will be opened as a hotel. It will contain thirty chambers, besides other necessary apartments.  It has not yet been decided who will open it. - Manassas Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment