Friday, March 21, 2014

Friend of Friends Friday: Will: Maria Brassfield (1825)

MARIA BRASSFIELD Will
Prince William County Will Book  M, pg 364
20 Oct 1825; proved 07 Nov 1825

In the name of God Amen I MARIA BRASSFIELD of Prince William County in Virginia being at this time very sick but of sound and disposing mind and memory and wishing to dispose of the worldly goods with which it has pleased God to bless me do make constitute and appoint this to be my last will and testament in manner and form following.  To Wit.  First I give and bequeath to my beloved sister ELIZABETH BRASSFIELD my negro girl FANNY, my bed, bedstead and bed clothes my hymn book prayer book Christian pattern Westleys sermons life of Fletcher and Dictionary one dining table half a dozen chairs writing desk and a chest to her and her heirs forever.  Secondly I give and bequeath to my beloved sister LUCINDA BRASSFIELD my saddle and bridle my unfinished quilt white cotton counterpane the Saints Everlasting, a walnut table and chest.  Thirdly I give and bequeath to my beloved sister JULIA FORTUNE a yarn counterpane a quilt and pieces to make another and a walnut table.  Fourthly I give and bequeath to my brother GEORGE BRASSFIELD a yarn counterpane two volumes of the History of the Bible the Bible and Westley’s notes.  Fifthly I give and bequeath to my brother LEONARD BRASSFIELD a yarn counterpane two volumes of the History of the Bible and Mrs. Thayres letters.  Sixthly I give and bequeath to my friend Mrs. MARY SPINDLE my sunflower yarn counterpane as a mark of my esteem for her.  Seventhly my will and desire is that my land be sold and out of the money arising from said sale that al my just debt and funeral expenses be paid and the balance if any to be equally divided between all my brothers and sisters.  All the rest and residue of my property of what kind soever I give to my two sisters LUCINDA and ELIZABETH and lastly I appoint my brother GEORGE BRASSFIELD Executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all other wills by me heretofore made and acknowledging this as my last.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 20th day of October 1825.

MARIA BRASSFIELD

Signed & sealed in the precense of
ROBT HAMILTON, WILLIAM H. DOGAN, JOHN D. DOGAN

At a Court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County  November the 7th 1825.

This last will and testament of MARIA BRASSFIELD decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oath of WILLIAM H. DOGAN is ordered to be recorded.  And at a Court of Quarterly sessions contd. And held for said County Nov. 8th, 18235.  This said last will and testament of MARIA BRASSFIELD decd. was fully proved by the oath of JOHN D. DOGAN and admitted to record.  And GEORGE BRASSFIELD the Exor. therein named came into court and made oath to the same according to law and having taken the oath of an executor and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, P. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment