Monday, September 30, 2013

Will: John Mills (1826)

JOHN MILLS Will
Prince William County Will Book  M, pg 443
19 Jul 1826; proved 02 Oct 1826

In the name of God Amen I J. JOHN MILLS of the County and State of Virginia calling to mind the mortality of the body and that it is appointed for all men to die and after that the judgment (and being weak in body but in perfect mind and memory) do hereby make my last will and testament in manner & form following that is to say, 1st I desire that all my debts and also all those that have been credited by my son PEYTON MILLS for the benefit of the family, that is the several store accounts, doctors bills & which stand charged in his name and all other debts whether in notes or accounts, should be paid as speedily as possible out of the moneys due me, and should there not be enough collected for that purpose, he the sd. Peyton Mills will immediately make sale of some of my property to satisfy the same.  Secondly, after the payment of my debts & funeral expenses I give to my beloved wife MARGARET MILLS one third pat of my estate both real and personal for and during the term of her natural life, and after her decease, I give the same to my children hereinafter mentioned, equally to be divided among them, and to be enjoyed by them forever.  Thirdly I give to my wife, son and two daughters who now live with me all the provision now in my possession for their sustenance and also all the present crop growing upon my lands.  Viz. wheat, corn, oats, fruit and also they will make use of any part or parcel of my stock for the support of the family until the property can be sold & divided as I hereafter mention.  Fourthly I give to my daughters MARY MILLS & ANN MILLS (for their services rendered me) three hundred dollars each as an extra legacy and then the residue of my property, both real & personal, of what nature or kind not herein before particularly disposed of I desire may be sold at public auction for cash and the money to be equally divided amongst all my children, namely JANE SIMPSON, LYDIA SIMPSON, MARY MILLS, PEYTON MILLS, RUTH WOOD & ANN MILLS, to them and their heirs and lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my son Peyton Mils & my friend John S. Fairfax Executors of this my last will & testament hereby revoking all other or former wills or testaments by me heretofore made.  In Witness whereof I have set my hand and affixed my seal this nineteenth day of July one thousand eight hundred & twenty six.

JNO. MILLS

Signed sealed published and declared as and for the last will and testament of the above named John Mills in presence of us,
WILLIAM PEARSON, WILLIAM B. DAVID, JOSEPH KING

At a Court held for Prince William County this 2nd day of October 1826.  This last will and testament of John Mills deceased was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of William Pearson, William B. Davis & Joseph King is ordered to be recorded and Peyton Mills & John S. Fairfax the Executors therein named came into Court and made oath to the same according to law, and having taken the oath of Executors and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, PHILIP D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment