Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Will: William Griffiss


WILLIAM GRIFFISS Will
Prince William County Will Bk M, pg 363
19 Apr 1824; proved 07 Nov 1825

In the name of God Amen I WILLIAM GRIFFISS make and declare this my last will and testament hereby revoking all others heretofore made by me.  In the first place I give and bequeath all my goods chattles and personal property of any discription to my beloved wife MILLY GRIFFISS during her natural life subject nevertheless to the payment of all my just debts and my funeral expences and excepting also one new feather bed and bedding one gun one cow a pair of spoon moulds and a pewter dish hereinafter specifically divided.  In the second place, I give and bequeath to my son RICHD. JOHN R. GRIFFISS the above excepted new bed and bedding and gun but should my son aforesaid die without issue then it is my will and desire and I hereby devise the sd. Bed and bedding and gun to my son WILLIAM GRIFFISS, to whom I now devise the above excepted buffalo cow and spoon moulds to him the said WILLIAM and his heirs forever.  And it is my will and desire and I hereby devise and direct that on the decease of my wife all that part of my property herein before devised to her during her natural life with the increase thereof shall be equally divided among my five children hereinafter named to wit to my son RICHARD JOHN R. GRIFFIS one fifth part to WILLIAM GRIFFISS one fifth part to my daughter KITTY ANN one fifth part to my daughter ELIZABETH ROTTER one fifth part and to my son SAMUEL S. HARRISON one fifth part to them and each of them and their heirs forever.  To my son PAREGRINE to whom I have already given as much as I shall be enabled to give to my other children I hereby give and bequeath one pewter dish as a token of affection.  I hereby constitute and appoint  my wife MILLY GRIFFISS and my son RICHC. JOHN R. GRIFFISS the Executor & Executrix of this my last will and testament.  To all which I hereby subscribe my name and affix my seal this 19th day of April in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty four.

WILLIAILM GRIFFISS

Signed sealed & delivered in presence of
WILLIAIM H. FITZHUGH, LEWIS ADIC

At a Court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County  November 7th 1825.  This last will and testament of WILLIAM GRIFFISS decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of WILLIAM H. FITZHUGH and LEWIS ADIC is ordered to be recorded.

Teste, PHIL. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment